Monday 4 February 2013

Time...

Where does time go? Seriously? How is a person supposed to do EVERYTHING he wants to do?

Right now, I'm trying to fit in all of the following into my life:

Work (out of necessity, not much choice here)
Writing
Editing
Blogging
Forum-ing (that's right, I verbed that shit)
Climbing
Snowboarding
Reading
Movie-watching
Spending time with my girlfriend (boy is she going to be pissed that she's tenth on the list...)
Spending time with friends
Blogging
Cooking
Painting
World-Domination (that's more of a long-game activity)
Taking care of my snakes
Eating
Sleeping

I know what you're thinking: 'Steve, cut some of that shit out!' But to that I say: 'no sir! That's not the way I do business!'

During the week I've been trying to dedicate my two free evenings to writing and writing related activities. There's also SOME free time for writing on the weekends. I've identified at least two hours of my day when I'm wholly unproductive, and that's the drive to and from work. What I would love to be able to do is be able to write/read/edit while I'm driving. Unfortunately, I'm a sucky driver as it is, so that's probably not the safest idea.

I've toyed with the idea of doing some writing at work at lunchtime, but I rarely get a lunchbreak these days (oh woe is me!). Also, when I do get a lunchbreak, I like to spend it doing very little, to relax the old brain. Obviously I can sneak in a little forum-ing at work. This has a double-function as a kind of advertising, especially with my books in my sig.

But there's very little scope for sneaking in a little bit here and there on all of the other activities. I can't write while snowboarding (or can I? I mean I could give it a go and post the results on YouTube, that might help with the advertising too).

So what's the solution? Right now I'm working on a 'everything in moderation' philosophy. I can go climbing one weekend, snowboarding the next, and go to the cinema the next. That frees up the rest of the weekend for other things. It's not a bad system, but I'd really like to dedicate two whole days per week to snowboarding, two to climbing, and two to painting. I would write every evening, and on my spare day: I would go into work, for triple what I'm being paid now. Any ideas how I can pitch that one to the boss? Anyone who comes up with something workable is a shoe-in for the Nobel prize in badassery (new category for 2013).

Hugs and kisses,

S.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment